Friday, March 25, 2011

2011 WVWC Drawing Demo!

Last night I was invited to be a guest lecturer during the Drawing From Life Class at West Virginia Wesleyan College in Buckhannnon, WV. Lauren and I were warmly welcomed by the drawing instructor Aaron Nelson and design instructor Chris Cosner. I discussed some of my theories and approaches to drawing the figure, and did a short 25 minute drawing demonstration. Afterward, the students worked from the model as I gave some input and encouragement. The students were very attentive to what I was discussing and responsive to the model. Lauren and I were extremely pleased with their level of skill and focus. Here's some photos of the class.

Demonstrating the beginning stages


Adding in my thoughts occassionally.

Some students' work and the model.

Offering some thoughts and encouragement.

My drawing for the demonstration - a 20 minute study of the model's hands.

My drawing (on the left) with some of the students' after class.


Lauren and I were also able to check out Sleeth Gallery where we'll be exhibiting this August with Martha Neaves, an artist from North Carolina. The gallery is extremely nice. The students of Wesleyan are very lucky to have such an impressive art department. Thanks to Aaron and Chris again for the opportunity to share my drawing approach.

2 comments:

  1. Derek, I think it's truly amazing to see you as a guest lecturer. Your work has progressed so much over the years that I've known you. Very cool to see you're able to share with students your approach to making great art!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tim! I felt truly honored to be given that opportunity!

    ReplyDelete